Minerals and metals statistics: production
Data on the production of minerals and metals in Canada. You can use this data to understand the Canadian mining industry and make informed decisions.
Canada’s mining industry produces significant amounts of minerals and metals for use in Canada and for export to other countries. Natural Resources Canada, working in partnership with Statistics Canada, collects data on mining production through annual and monthly surveys of the industry.
What you can find on this page:
- Annual statistics
- Canada’s production and shipments of mineral and metal products from 1990 to present, by product (mineral or metal) and by province or territory
- Canada's mineral industry statistics including employment, mining activities, energy consumption and more
- Monthly statistics
- Data from 2020 onward on Statistics Canada’s website
- Canada’s production and shipments of 18 leading mineral and metal products from 1994 to 2019
About the survey program
Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) and Statistics Canada jointly administer a program, launched in 2018, to collect, assemble and publish production statistics on minerals and metals. Information collected is instrumental in illustrating the impact of the mining industry on Canada’s economy. Before the program was launched, NRCan administered a similar survey.
Through the current program, Statistics Canada surveys the industry to collect preliminary estimates and actual production data on minerals. The surveys involve questionnaires covering several raw products and refined metals. They measure monthly and annual statistics from producing mines. These statistics include energy consumption, employment, production, shipments and more.
The collected data are reported on a preliminary, monthly and annual basis and are available through this website.
The data are also used in publications that provide analysis for various uses. See Mining and mineral publications.
Annual statistics on mineral production
Data on production and shipments are available from 1990 to present:
- Minerals and metals, shipments and production, by province and territory
- Mineral industry statistics including employment, energy consumption, mining activities and more
Monthly statistics on mineral production
Current data are available from Statistics Canada from 2020 onward. They include production and shipments of minerals and metals:
- Production and shipments of metallic minerals, monthly (Statistics Canada)
- Production and shipments of non-metallic minerals, monthly (Statistics Canada)
- Value of shipments of minerals, monthly (Statistics Canada)
Historical data on production and shipments are available for 18 leading Canadian mineral products:
- Production of aluminum
- Production of copper
- Production of diamonds
- Production of fuels
- Production of gold
- Gold shipments by region
- Production of lead
- Production of nickel
- Production of silver
- Production of zinc
- Shipments of iron ore
- Shipments of salt
- Shipments of select minerals (clay products, gypsum, lime, molybdenum, potash, uranium)